Texas Requirements & Process for Certification
To be recommended for educator certification a candidate must:
- Successfully complete all requirements for a degree that leads to certification (initial or professional)*
- Successfully complete all required official TExES testing
- Apply for certification in Texas:
- Go to TEA -Texas Certification Agency
- Click on “TEAL Login” (in the blue at the top of the page)
- Log into the system with your username and password (If you have difficulty logging in please call the Region 12 Education Service Center at 254-297-1286, 254-297-1231; or 254-297-1226)
- Click on “Educator”
- Click on “Applications” on the left hand side of the page
- Select “Standard Certificate Texas Program”
- Follow the instructions to apply for certification
- Pay by credit card online or print the fee remittance form, and mail with the appropriate payment
- Begin the criminal background check process while on-line:
- The applicant will receive an email from TEA that will contain a document (FAST Pass) that will allow them to use the vendor’s digital services and provide information needed to complete the fingerprinting
- Applicants will be required to pay the vendor a fee for the fingerprinting service
*Certification is not complete until the student graduates.
As cited in HB 1508, a student is not eligible for any refund of tuition or fees if they are unwilling or unable to complete Field Based Experiences, Clinical Teaching and/or take or pass the Texas Certification Examinations or are excluded from certification.
For questions regarding certification please contact Sandra Parnell at Sandra_Parnell@baylor.edu, 254-710-6153, or come by MMSCI 274.